Fenugreek rice porridge in coconut milk which is known as meththero kanji in Beary language. It’s a healthy, simple rice dish made with rice, coconut milk and fenugreek seeds which is called as meththe in Beary. Its especially made during Ramadan , to have after ifthar, but also recommended during post delivery because of its highly nutritional values.
Here is a small description about our beary community. 🙂
Beary is a community concentrated mostly along the Coastal Dakshina Kannada, Karnataka state, India. It has its own unique traditions and distinct cultural identity.
The language spoken by Bearys is Beary Baashe. The language has highly influenced by the Arabic and also has words derived from Tulu ( local language of mangalore), Malayalam and Tamil. The beary cuisine is highly influenced by the Southindian cuisine. A few traditional popular dishes are Pinde ( steamed rice dumplings), Syame ( idiyappam), Guliyappa ( paniyaram), Poo-pole( near dosa) etc.
We are called as Bearys 🙂
Coming back to recipe, thengero kanji is very simple and one pot meal.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
- Jeera rice – 1/2 cup
- Water- 2 cups
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coconut milk – 1/2 cup , thick
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Soak the fenugreek seeds in water for 10 minutes.
- In a cooker, add washed and drained jeera rice, water, fenugreek seeds, salt and cook on medium – high flame for 4-5 whistles. Let the pressure settle. Open the lid and stir the porridge.
- Then add coconut milk , let it boil for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Serve hot with pickle, vegetable poriyal.
- You can also add a teaspoon of ghee to the porridge and stir, before serving to enhance the flavour.
This porridge can be prepared without fenugreek seeds too. Which is known as “thengero kanji” aka rice porridge in coconut milk. Thenge is coconut in beary. Recipe remains same without fenugreek seeds.
Check our Ramadan post for variety of ifthar snacks, drinks, desserts.