Umm Ali is an Egyptian dessert with minimal ingredients yet so delicious. It’s similar to bread pudding. Very few ingredients are used to prepare this. This easy dessert can be prepared using puff pastry sheets, croissants or bread. Recipe method remains the same for all.
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 40 minutes
- Puff pastry sheets – 4, thawed
- Chopped mixed nuts – 1/2 cup (almonds, cashews, raisins, pistachios )
- Desiccated coconut – 1 tablespoon ( optional )
- Milk -2 cups
- Sweetened condensed milk -1/2 tin or sugar -1/2 cup
- Thick cream – 125 ml
- Cinnamon powder – 1/4 teaspoon ( optional)
- Bake the puff pastry sheets in the oven at 200 degrees for 15-20 minutes. ( skip this step if you already have ready plain puffs or croissants)
- In a milk pan, heat 2 cups of milk till boiling point, add condensed milk/ sugar and thick cream, cinnamon powder. Stir well on medium heat for couple of minutes. Keep aside.
- Place the puffs on the oven safe baking dish. Crush them with hand and place them evenly as base.
- Add all the chopped nuts and coconut over the crushed puffs.
- Pour milk over the nuts.
- Bake it in the preheated oven for 10 minutes at 200 degrees. Then broil it for 5 – 10 minutes to get the golden crust on top.
Remove the tray from oven. Let it cool for few minutes. Serve the umm Ali warm.
Check out other delicious desserts recipes too!