Prawn appam is a steamed dish in which prawn masala is stuffed in between two rice pathiris. Ideal for get-togethers, picnics and lunch box.
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 1 hour
makes : 7 appams.
- Prawns – 3/4 kg clean it well
- Onions – 4
- ginger-garlic paste – 2 teaspoon
- tomato – 1 big
- green chillies – 2 (or according to your spice level)
- coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- coconut grated – 2 cups
- cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon , small onion – 2
- red chilli powder – 1-2 tablespoon
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- coriander leaves
- pathiri rice powder – 2.5 cups
Prepare the prawn filling –
- Mix prawns with red chilli powder , turmeric powder and salt. Fry these prawns and keep it aside.
- In the same oil, saute onions. When it turns a bit soft, add ginger-garlic paste and green chillies. Cook for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and when it turns soft,add coriander powder. Toss in fried prawns and combine well.
- Blend grated coconut, small onions and cumin seed to a fine paste. Add this to the above prawn mixture and cook till the gravy becomes thick. Garnish with coriander leaves
Prepare the pathiri dough –
- Blend grated coconut in a blender with little water.
- Take the pathiri powder in a mixing bowl. Transfer the blended coconut to it. Add salt. Now knead it into a soft dough with water. Make 14 balls out of it.
To make the prawn appam-
- Roll out a pathiri ball. Place it on an aluminium foil. Place prawn masala on top of it. Roll out another pathiri. Place it on top of the prawn masala. Cover the masala and seal the edges together. Cover it on top with aluminium foil. Repeat the same with remaining pathiris.
- Steam it in a steamer for 30 minutes.
The delicious prawn appam is ready. You may serve it as it is or may cut each into 4 pieces.
1- you may use pathiri rice instead of pathiri rice powder. In that case , grind little grated coconut and pathiri rice together with salt and water. Roast the batter on a frying pan until you get a nice soft dough.
2- I wrap each prawn appam in separate foils so that it can be easily stacked inside the steamer . Moreover, the appams don’t stick to each other.
Explore here for more prawn recipes at b2d!