There are many ways to use the left over idlis and make quick meals (breakfast or dinner) . we have already shared our Idli chilly recipe. Here , we share how upma can be made using left over idlis.
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serves – 1-2
- Idli – 10
- onion – 1 large finely chopped
- green chilli – 1-2 (or according to your spice level)
- ginger – 1 teaspoon (grated)
- mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- urid dhal – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- coriander leaves – 3 tablespoon (finely chopped)
- curry leaves – a little (finely chopped)
- salt, oil
Step 1: Crumble the idlis and keep it aside.
Step 2: heat oil in a pan. add in mustard seeds.When it crackles, add in urid dhal. When it turns light brown, add in green chillies, ginger and curry leaves .saute and then add onion.
Step 3: when the onions turn translucent , add crumbled idlis ,turmeric powder and salt.Add in a little water . Give it a very good mix until they combine very well.
Step 4 : Simmer and cook for a couple of minutes. Finally garnish with coriander leaves.
Idli Upma is ready !
Tip : peanuts can be added along with urid dal. Also , grated coconut can be added along with crumbled idlis. These give a very good flavor to the idli upma.
Click me for more upma recipes at b2d!