This chicken pulao recipe is also known as bangalore style biriyani, gattatho biriyani and red biriyani. Its an one pot method hence I name it as chicken pulao. This is my mom in law’s recipe and one of my favourites.
This pulao can be prepared in pot or pressure cooker. In this method masala is prepared first and then chicken and rice is added and cooked together. So every grain of rice is cooked in chicken masala and tastes delicious.
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Serves : 10
- 1 kg Chicken with bone
- 5 cups jeerakshala rice
- 4 medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chillies chopped
- Handfull of coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Handfull of mint leaves, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoon red chilly powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon jeera powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup curd
- 1 lime
- Heat 4 tablespoon of oil, in a cooker. Add onions, saute till they turn slightly brown. Then add ginger garlic paste, saute for 2 minutes. Next add tomatoes, green chilly, coriander leaves and mint leaves, saute well till they turn soft.
- Then add all dry powders, saute for 5 minutes, add salt, curd, chicken and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes. Add 7.5 cups of water. Then add 1 lime juice. Check for salt. Add if needed.
- When the water starts boiling, add washed & drained rice. Mix gently and close the lid. Cook on high for 1 whistle. Let the pressure settle then only open the lid.
- Serve the chicken pulao with raita & enjoy 🙂
- Sona masuri or basmati rice can be used instead of jeerakshala rice.
- Both rice must be washed & soaked for 30 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water for 1 cup of sona masuri or basmati rice.
Have a look at our Biriyani/ pulao recipes collection!