Tomato Rice is a simple South Indian dish made using tomatoes, herbs and spices. It is a one pot dish which is very easy , simple and delicious. As the name suggests, the key ingredient is Tomato. You may also add any veggie of your choice to increase its nutrient content. Tomato rice can be served along with raita, pappad or pickle. Nevertheless it can be served alone as it is very flavorful and tasty.
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cook time : 20 minutes
Serves – 3-4
- Basmati rice – 2.5 cups (cleaned and drained)
- water(boiled) – 5 cups ( double the quantity of rice)
- Onion – 2 medium (chopped)
- Tomato – 2 cups (tightly packed, chopped)
- ginger-garlic paste – 2 teaspoon
- mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- fenugreek seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cinnamon – 1 inch , cardamom – 4 , cloves – 5
- curry leaves – a handful
- red chilli powder – 1/2 to 1 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – 1/2 to 1 teaspoon
- coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- cumin powder – 2 teaspoon
- mint leaves – 1 teaspoon (chopped)
- coriander leaves – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- salt , oil
Step 1 : Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds. Then add fenugreek seeds and lightly saute for a couple of seconds
Step 2 : Add cinnamon, clove and cardomom . Then add chopped onions. Stir and saute until onions are translucent.
Step 3 : Add curry leaves and ginger-garlic paste. Saute until the raw smell disappears. Add mint and coriander leaves ,saute for a minute. Add tomatoes and saute for a while.
Step 4 : Add chilli powder, pepper powder , coriander powder , turmeric powder and cumin powder. Stir and saute till tomatoes become pulpy with oil releasing from the sides.
Step 5 : Add rice and stir well for a minute
Step 6: Add boiling water and mix well. Cover and cook until rice is done.
Check our blog for more Rice recipes