This recipe is for all the seafood lovers. Fish does not need much resting time or cooking time. This fish dum biriyani is prepared with simple ingredients. I used fish with bone. It tastes great with fish fillet too. There are many ways to prepare fish biriyani. Using yoghurt, red masala etc. Green masala is used here to prepare biriyani masala.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 45 minutes
Serves : 5-6
For cooking rice :
- Basmati rice – 4 cups
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cinnamon stick – 2 inches long
- Star anise -1
- Cloves – 5
- Cardamom- 4
- Salt – 2 tablespoons
For fish marination :
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 2 tablespoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Lemon – 2, juice extracted
- Salt – to taste
For biriyani masala :
- King fish – 1 kg, slices of big fish middle part
- Onion – 3 large, thinly sliced
- Tomato – 2 large, thinly sliced
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
For green masala:
- Coriander leaves – 1 cup, tightly packed
- Mint leaves – 1/2 cup, tightly packed
- Green chilly – 5
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Coriander seeds- 1 tablespoon
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tablespoon
For garnishing :
- Onion – 1 medium, thinly sliced
- Coriander leaves- few, finely chopped
- Mint leaves – few, finely chopped
- Saffron – few strands
- Warm Milk – 3 tablespoons, to soak saffron
- Wash and soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes. In this 30 minutes you can prepare the green masala, marinate fish, start preparing biriyani masala too.
Method to make green masala:
- In a pan, dry roast the coriander seeds and fennel seeds for a minute. Put in a blender along with other ingredients mentioned under green masala. Blend it into a smooth thick paste. Add little water while blending to get a smooth paste. Keep this aside.
Method to marinate the fish :
- In a bowl, add all ingredients mentioned under marination and mix well to make thick paste. Add little water if needed to make paste. Take half of the fish and marinate it in the fish masala for 15 minutes. Shallow fry in oil and keep aside.
Cook rice :
- Take a large pot, boil enough water to cook rice. Add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise, cardamom, salt to the water. When the water starts boiling, add drained rice. Cook the rice for 80%. Drain the rice and keep aside.
- In a large pot, heat 4 tablespoons of ghee. Fry sliced onion ( for garnishing) till golden brown colour. Remove from vessel and keep aside.
- Soak the saffron strands in warm milk. You can skip this step and use biriyani colour too for garnishing.
Prepare biriyani masala :
- In the same pot, fry the onions for biriyani masala till sligtly golden brown. Add green masala and saute well till its raw smell goes. Then add tomatoes, saute till they turn soft. then add salt, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and saute for couple of minutes. Then add the remaining half of the fish to the masala. cook for 5 minutes. Gently flip over the fish and place some masala over the flipped fish using the spoon and cook for 2 minutes. Biriyani masala is ready.
Layering and garnishing :
- Keep the fried fish over the masala. Spread the cooked rice over the fish biriyani masala. Garnish with saffron milk, fried onion, coriander leaves, mint leaves. Close the lid and Keep for dum ( pressure ) for 15 minutes.
- Serve the biriyani with Kachumbar salad & raita.
Have a look at our other Rice Dishes too 🙂