American chopuey is deep fried noodles served with tangy sweet and spicy sauce and egg bull’s eye on top. This american chinese style dish is usually served for lunch or dinner but good for snack time too.
This recipe is for chicken chopsuey. To make veg chopsuey just skip the chicken, egg and stock in the method and rest of the recipe remains the same.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 3 -4
- Noodles – 1 packet
- Cornflour – 1 tablespoon
- Oil – to deep fry the noodles
- Egg – 1 or 2
For chopsuey sauce :
- chicken – 100 gms, boneless , thinly cut
- Chicken stock – 1 cube
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Garlic – 4 cloves , finely chopped
- Onion – 1 , small, thinly sliced
- Carrot – 1 , thinly sliced
- Cabbage – little, long shredded
- Capsicum – 1/2 , thinly sliced
- Ketchup – 4 -6 tablespoons
- Soya sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Vinegar – 1 tablespoon
- Hot sauce – 1 -2 teaspoons
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper powder – 1 -2 teaspoons
- Sugar – 1/2 teaspoon
- Water – around 2. 5 cups
- Cornflour – 2 teaspoon
- Boil the noodles in enough water and drain them.
- When its completely dry, sprinkle 2 tablespoon cornflour over the noodles and mix well to coat.
- Next deep fry the noodles till crispy and lightly golden.
- Drain and keep aside.
Meanwhile prepare Chopsuey sauce,
- In a large kadai, heat oil, add garlic cloves and saute for a minute.
- Add onion saute till translucent.
- Then add boneless chicken strips, stir fry till done.
- Then carrot, capsicum, cabbage and stir fry till they cook yet crispy.
- Next add ketchup, soya sauce, vinegar, hot sauce, salt, pepper, sugar and saute well.
- Next add 2 cups of water and chicken stock cube and mix well, let it boil.
- In a small bowl add cornflour and 1/4 th cup water, mix well to form slurry.
- Pour it into the kadai, stir well.
- Let the sauce boil till thickens and turns glossy.
- Switch off the flame.
- Chopseuy sauce is ready.
- Heat a pan and make egg bull’s eye. Season it with pepper and salt.
Take a plate and place the fried noodles, pour chopseuy sauce over the noodles, place the egg over the sauce and serve.
Also have a look at our other Pasta/ noodles recipes such as