Here are the recipes of the veg thali dishes in the above picture. In this post I have written the recipes in brief without measurements. For exact measurements click on the dish headings.
2. Sambar :
- In a cooker, cook toor dal for 3 whistles or till well cooked.
- Chop onions, tomatoes, carrots, beans, potatoes, mangalore cucumber etc .
- Soak tamarind in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes. Remove pulp.
- Once dal is cooked, add all chopped veggies, tamarind pulp, sambar powder, turmeric powder, salt and cook for 1 whistle or till veggies are cooked well.
- Add tadka of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing, curry leaves to sambar.
- Sambar is ready.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when crackles add crushed garlic , curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Then add onion, tomato and saute for a minute.
- Then add chopped ivy gourd, salt, slit green chilly, little water and cook till done.
- Add little grated coconut and saute and cook till liquid is dried.
- Ivy gourd thoran is ready.
- Grate the beetroot and cook till soft by adding 2 tablespoons of water. Let it cool completely.
- Whisk curd in a bowl, add salt, green chilly, cooked beetroot and mix well.
- Add tadka of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves to the mixed curd.
- Beetroot raita is ready.
5. Crispy lady’s finger ( bindi) :
- Wash and clean the lady’s finger. Slit them into halves.
- In a bowl add salt, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and mix well.
- Put the lady’s finger into the bowl and mix well. keep for 5 minutes.
- Then sprinkle semolina ( rava) and gram flour ( besan) to the bowl and toss well.
- Deep fry these coated lady’s finger till crisp.
- Crispy lady’s finger is ready.
- Heat ghee in a pan, roast cashew nuts and raisins till golden brown, keep aside.
- In the same pan, roast the vermicelli till golden brown.
- Then add milk and cook on medium flame till milk boils.
- Lower the flame, add sugar , mix well and cook for 5 minutes or till payasam thickens.
- Garnish with fried cashews and raisins.
- Vermicelli payasam is ready.
A simple vegetarian thali is ready. Enjoy 🙂