Egg Thokku , also knows as Muttai Thokku is a dish that comes all the way from South India. It is a very easy recipe made with readily available ingredients. It goes well with appam, roti , rice etc.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
- Egg – 3
- onion – 2 big
- tomato – 2 small
- kashmiri red chilly powder – 1 teaspoon
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- green chilly – 1 big
- fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- cinnamon stick – 1/4 inch
- ginger-garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- curry leaves – large quantity
- finely chop the onions and the green chilly.(quantity of green chilly can be adjusted to your need)
- blend the tomatoes to a smooth puree in a blender
- hard boil the eggs. Remove the shell and cut it into 4 equal parts.
Let’s get started :-
- Heat a 3-4 tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add fennel seeds to it .then add cinnamon stick. Let it crackle. add green chilly. Mix well. Then add a good quantity of curry leaves. (almost a handful)
- Then add chopped onions . Saute until onion starts turning golden brown. Add ginger-garlic paste. Saute until raw smell disappears .
- Add spice powders – turmeric powder , chilly powder and garam masala powder. Give it a good mix on high flame.
- Add tomato puree. Give it a good toss. Add salt as required. Combine well. cook on high flame till oil starts releasing.
- Finally add eggs and give one quick toss.
Serve it immediately with your choice of roti / rice and enjoy !
You may also like these egg recipes –