Khaman Dhokla is a steamed cake made using gram flour (besan flour).A common food in the Indian state of Gujarat, it has a soft – spongy texture and a hint of sweet and tangy taste. The dhokla is made by letting the besan batter ferment for about 4 to 6 hours. Alternatively, Eno salt can be used for instant preparation. It is ideal for breakfast as well as evening snack.Ingredients :
For the batter :-
- Besan / gram flour – 1 cup
- rava – 1 teaspoon
- sugar – 1 teaspoon
- salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- lime juice – 1 teaspoon
- green chilly – ginger paste – 3/4 teaspoon
- curd – 1/4 cup
- water – 3/4 cup
- eno fruit salt – 1 teaspoon
- oil – 1.5 tablespoon
- mustard seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
- curry leaves – a few
- green chilly – 3-4
- lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- water – 1/4 cup
- coriander leaves – to garnish
- hing – a pinch
- sugar – 1 teaspoon
- salt -1/4 teaspoon
- coriander leaves
- grated coconut
To prepare the dhokla:-
- In a mixing bowl , take besan/gram flour , rava , sugar , salt , yoghurt , lime juice , green chilly – ginger paste, 3/4 cup water. Combine well. Let it rest for 15 minutes (preferred ; nevertheless you can avoid resting it completely.)
- Heat water in a steamer. Grease the plate (in which dhokla is going to be steamed) well with oil .
- Now add eno fruit salt and mix well. Pour the dhokla batter to the greased plate.
- When the steamer is hot and steaming , place the dhokla plate in it. Cover and steam cook for 15- 20 minutes . remove the dhokla from the steamer. Let it cool.
To prepare the tempering:-
- Mean while, in a small pan, heat oil for tempering . crackle mustard seeds . Then add in green chilly ,hing and curry leaves. After a while, add water ,sugar and salt. Once the water boils, switch off the flame . Add lime juice and mix well.
- Transfer the cooked dhokla to a serving plate. Pour the prepared tempering on top. Garnish with coriander leaves and grated coconut .
- You can cook It in gas oven too! just pour some water on the tray.Place the baking dish with batter on it. Cook on low degree (160degrees) for about 30 minutes!
- You can cook it in micro wave oven too ! but the texture won’t be as good and soft as steam cooked!
Serve it with tamarind and green chutney ! enjoy!You may also like these recipes –