Mushroom biriyani is a good substitute for any non veg biriyanis. This recipe is a veg version for my Thalassery Chicken biriyani. I have just used mushrooms instead of chicken, rest all the recipe remains same.
This is a proper biriyani where masala and rice are cooked separately, then layered and dum cooked. For veggies we usually make one pot pulaos but this mushroom biriyani turned out too good.
I like Thalassery style biriyanis for many reasons like aroma, taste etc. But also for the reason that we can make it faster than other biriyanis where soaking the basmati rice for 30 minutes is required otherwise. When it comes to Thalassery biriyanis, I love the part that by the time masala is ready, the ghee rice will be ready as well. Then comes layering and dum cook part.
So let’s start with delicious mushroom biriyani 🙂
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Serves : 5- 6 servings
For ghee rice :
- Jeerakasala rice – 3 cups
- Ghee – 2 tablespoons
- Onion – 1 small, thinly sliced
- Cinnamon stick – 1, small piece
- Cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 3
- Water – 4.5 cups
- Salt – to taste
For masala :
- Button mushrooms – 500 gms
- Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Onion – 4 , medium , thinly sliced
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Green chilly – 5 ( depends on the spiciness of chillies )
- Tomato – 2, medium, chopped
- Coriander leaves – half a bunch, chopped
- Garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Lime – 1, juice
- Salt – to taste
For garnish :
- Ghee – 2 teaspoons
- Onion – 1, medium, golden fried
- Cashews and raisins – few, lightly fried
- Coriander leaves- few, chopped
- Mint leaves – few , chopped
- saffron water / food colour – few drops
- In a pot, heat oil, saute the onions till they turn light brown.
- Crush or make paste of the ginger, garlic and green chillies together. Add it to the onions.
- Saute for couple of minutes. Then add tomatoes and saute till they turn soft.
- Then add turmeric powder, garam masala powder, pepper powder and saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add the coriander leaves, salt and saute well.
- Let it cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Then add the chopped mushrooms, mix well and let it cook on medium flame.
- Add 2 tablespoon of yughurt . Mix well.
- Add lime juice, mix gently, check for salt. Switch off the flame. Masala is ready.
Prepare ghee rice:
- In a pot, add ghee, add whole garam masalas and onions.
- Saute onions till translucent.
- Add water, salt. When the water starts boiling, add washed rice.
- Mix well and close the lid.
- Cook till done.
- In biryani pot, spread 2 teaspoons of ghee at the bottom.
- Spread mushroom masala as the bottom layer.
- Next spread prepared ghee rice over the masala.
- sprinkle saffron water/ food colour over the rice.
- sprinkle 3/4th of the fried onions, coriander leaves and mint leaves over the rice.
- Cover the pot with aluminum foil and close lid.
- Keep for dum under lowest flame for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Biriyani is ready to serve.
Garnish the biriyani with remaining fried onions, cashews and raisins.
Serve the delicious hot mushroom biriyani with raita or salad.
Have a look at out other Malabar recipes too!
We have many more Biriyani/ pulao recipes too!
And other mushroom recipes such as