Schezwan sauce is a spicy sauce made with dry red chillies, garlic and spices. It’s a fusion Indo Chinese recipe of a hot chilli sauce. This is one of the most popular sauce recipes from the Indo Chinese cuisine. Schezwan sauce can be used to make schezwan fried rice, schezwan chicken or paneer etc. It can also be had as a dip.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
- Dry byadagi chillies – 12
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Garlic cloves – 8 , finely chopped
- Ginger- 1/2 inch, finely chopped
- Soya sauce – 1 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup – 2 tbsp
- Vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
- Soak dry red chillies in hot water for 30 minutes. Drain and blend them into fine smooth paste. Add little water while blending.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan, add garlic and ginger, saute well for 2 minutes. Do not brown them.
- Add blended chilli paste, saute well for 2 minutes. Rinse blender with 3 tbsp of water and add to the pan.
- Add salt, pepper and mix well.
- Close the lid and cook till oil separates from the sides.
- Then add vinegar, soya sauce, tomato ketchup, sugar and mix well.
- Let it cook on slow flame for 5 minutes till sauce thickens.
- Switch off the flame.
- Let it cool down and then store in a glass jar/ container in refrigerator.
Serve schezwan sauce as a dip with snacks or satarters. Do try Schezwan dosa 🙂
Have a look at our other dip or side recipes such as