Squid Ghee Roast is a speciality of Mangalorean Cuisine. A delightful seafood delicacy which is spicy and tangy ,flavored with ghee.It has vibrant flavors from the freshly roasted and ground masala ,and ghee imparts richness and unique aroma to the dish. Jaggery and curry leaves give this dish a magical touch of perfection! This tastes best with Neer dosa – the combination is heavenly, believe me! Have a look at Chicken Ghee Roast and prawns ghee roast recipes which are already up in the blog.
- ghee – 3 tablespoon
- curry leaves – a handful
- tomato paste – 1 tablespoon
- jaggery – 1-2 teaspoon
For ghee roast masala :
- Dried red chilly – 6-7
- coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- peppercorns – 1 teaspoon
- cumin seeds- 1/4 teaspoon
- fennel seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- tamarind – a small ball (approx.1 tablespoon )
- garlic – 4 cloves
For cooking squid:
- squid – 1/2 kg
- onion – 1 small
- tomato – 1/2 small
- vinegar – 1/2 teaspoon
To prepare the ghee roast masala :-
- In a heated pan, dry roast red chillies , coriander seeds , peppercorns, fennel seeds , cumin seeds till a nice aroma comes. (be careful not to burn them). Switch off the flame. Let it cool
- Transfer the roasted ingredients to a blender along with garlic cloves, turmeric powder, tamarind and blend it to a smooth paste using water . Keep it ready
To cook squid :-
- Cut the squid into rings. Clean it well.
- Take a pressure cooker. Transfer squid into it. Add chopped onions and tomato, vinegar ,salt.
- Also add in 1 teaspoon of the above prepared ghee roast masala to it.Then add a little water (approx 1/4 cup).
- Pressure cook it for about 4 whistles on high flame.
- Switch off the flame. Let the pressure settle.
- Open the pressure cooker. Separate squid from water. (retain the water)
To make squid ghee roast:-
- Take a pan. Heat 2 tablespoon ghee. add finely chopped curry leaves. Saute for a minute.
- Add the above prepared ghee roast masala. Roast it very well in the ghee until color changes lightly. Then add tomato paste. saute very well for another couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked squid to the pan. Combine it very well with the masala.
- Then add retained water. Cook on medium flame until water dries up and oil starts to separate.
- Add grated jaggery. Mix well.
- Finally, add 1 tablespoon of ghee and remove from heat.
Squid Ghee Roast is ready ! Serve it with Neer Dosa and Enjoy!
Have a look at these recipes too –
- Squid masala fry
- Rava fish fry mangalore style
- Prawn-Lady’s finger curry
- Fish curry (Mangalore style)
- Meen Ada/ Steamed Rice Pancake with fish masala filling