Shakshouka/Shakshuka is a mediterranean dish of eggs poached in a hearty, spiced sauce made of tomatoes (mainly).This is one dish that you would love to eat directly from the skillet…Its super easy to prepare and is an ideal option for “egg” breakfast. Eggs are cooked in a skillet of simmering spicy tomato sauce. It can be served with toasted bread or warm pita bread.
- Eggs – 2
- Onion – 1
- tomato – 2
- green bell pepper – 1 medium
- garlic – 2 cloves
- tomato paste – 2 tablespoon
- paprika powder – 1 teaspoon
- cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- pepper powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- crushed pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
- red chilly flakes – 1/4 teaspoon
- olive oil – 2 tablespoon
- parsley leaves – 1 teaspoon
Pre preparations :
- Dice the onion ,tomatoes and bell pepper / capsicum
- Finely chop garlic cloves
Let’s get started:
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. saute garlic for a couple of minutes. Add onion and saute till it changes color slightly.
- Then add capsicum. saute on medium flame for about 3 minutes.
- Now add tomatoes . saute and cook till it softens well.
- Next step is to add paprika powder and cumin powder.Mix well.
- Add Tomato paste. saute well for another couple of minutes.Season it with salt and pepper. Mix well. Add 1/8 cup of water. Combine very well.
- Break open each egg into seperate bowls.(careful not to break the yolk)
- Now , Make two wells (or indentation) in between the sauce and pour each egg carefully into each well.
- Reduce the heat. Cover the skillet and cook till egg whites are set and done.
- Garnish it with red chilly flakes, crushed pepper and parsley leaves.
Serve it hot with toasted bread or Pita bread. Enjoy!
Have a look at these egg recipes –