This is a very popular vegetarian South Indian curry with a good mixture of a variety of vegetable. It makes a superb combination with south Indian dishes like dosa, idli, paniyaram, vada , rice etc. There are a lot of variations in preparing this curry. Here, I share my version of sambar which I learned from my mother-in-law.
Preparation time : 1 hour
- Vegetables – potato ,carrot, lady finger, drumstick, beans etc
- Toor dal – 1/8 a Cup
- Onion – 1 , garlic- 3 cloves, small cut ginger- 1/2 teaspoon
- Tomato – 1
- 1-2 tablespoon of sambar powder
- Tamarind water – 5-6 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- oil – 2 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 2 teaspoon
- jeera – 1 teaspoon
- hing – a pinch (optional)
- curry leaves – a handful
- coriander leaves – to garnish
- Wash and transfer dal to a pressure. cook for 2 whistles. Switch off
- Let the pressure settle. Open the cooker , transfer the veggies ( except lady finger and drumstick) with turmeric and salt.
- In a pot , heat oil, sputter mustard seeds, jeera . Add finely chopped garlic, ginger. Add in curry leaves.
- Add finely sliced onions, tomatoes and saute . Add remaining veggies and salt. Add little water.Boil until the veggies are cooked.
- Now add the previously cooked dal+ veggies mixture.
- Add tamarind water, sambar powder. Adjust salt.
Finish it off with coriander leaves .
(I add little ketchup and a teaspoon of sugar. I like the resulting taste)
It makes excellent combination with rice , Paniyaram , Ragi Idli , Dosas , vada etc
Check out these veg recipes –
and many more !!!