Rajma is a popular vegetarian dish, originating from the Indian subcontinent, consisiting of red kidney beans in a thick gravy with onion, tomato, Indian spices. It’s usually served with rice , which is populary called as ‘rajma- chawal’ in hindi.
Kidney beans must be soaked overnight.
Preparation time : 8 hours of soaking
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 2
- Rajma / kidney beans – 1/2 CUP
- Onion -1 medium , finely chopped
- Tomato -1 medium, finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste-1/2 tablespoon
- Red chilly powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Jeera powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Kasuri methi – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- salt- to taste
- Lime juice -1 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves – few, finely chopped for garnish
- In a pressure cooker, heat 1 tablespoon oil / butter/ ghee , add onions and saute till they turn translucent.
- Then add ginger garlic paste, saute for 2 minutes.
- Next add tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes till they turn soft.
- Then add turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, jeera powder, kasuri methi and saute for a minute.
- Add washed kidney beans, 1 cup water, salt and mix well.
- Close the lid and presuure cook for 5 to 6 whistles.
- Open the lid when presuure settles, add lime juice and mix well.
- Rajma is ready.
Garnsih the rajma masala with coriander leaves & onion, and serve with plain rice or roti.
Take a look at our other vegetarian curry recipes such as