Sajjige bajil is a popular breakfast from Mangalore & Udupi, prepard using wheat semolina/rava and rice flakes. Here is the recipe of wheat upma , which is easy, quick and very tasty.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup wheat rava
- 4 tablespoons of ghee
- 1 tablespoon oil/ ghee for tempering
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 2 pieces of dry chilly
- few curry leaves
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies
- handful of grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt to taste
- In a wide pan, heat ghee and roast the wheat rava, till it turns dark brown or well roasted. Keep it aside in a plate.
- In a pan, heat ghee/ oil , add mustard seeds, urad dal, dry chilly, curry leaves, chopped onion and saute well.
- Add 2 cups of water, salt.
- When the water starts boiling, add the roasted rava and mix well.
- Close the lid and keep for 2 minutes.
- Open the lid, add grated coconut and sugar, mix gently and serve with banana.
Also have a look at other Mangalore special recipes !