Kadala curry is a popular kerala special dish. Its black chickpeas curry in coconut milk. Usually served with puttu & appam. It goes really well with chapathi & rice too.
Preparation time : overnight soaking of chickpeas & 10 minutes just before cooking
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves : 4
- 1 cup black chickpeas ( soak overnight)
- 2 big onions, finely chopped
- 1 big tomato, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- Few curry leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed slightly
- Few coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chilly powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- Wash and soak the black chickpeas overnight.
- Add 2 cups water and cook them in cooker for 5 to 7 whistles or till its cooked and tender. Keep it aside along with water.
- In a deep pan, heat 3 tablespoons of oil, add mustard seeds, when it crackles, add crushed garlic, curry leaves, onions and saute till golden brown.
- Add green chilli, ginger garlic paste, coriander leaves and saute for 3 minutes.
- Then add tomatoes and cook till they are softened. Then add all spice powders, saute and cook till oil oozes out of masala.
- Then add the boiled chickpeas, along with 2 cups of its water.
- Cook on high flame. Check for salt and add if needed.
- Add thick cocunut milk and let it boil on medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Switch off the flame. Sprinkle few drops of coconut oil.
Kadala curry is ready to serve with puttu or rice.
Have a look at other Veg curry recipes too.