It’s a popular north Indian dish. Its basically paneer (cottage cheese) cubes cooked in creamy spinach gravy. Very easy, quick and healthy recipe.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 6
- 250 grams of paneer
- Spinach ( palak) , 1 big bunch or 2 small bunches
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 4 green chillies
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 big Indian bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoons of fresh cream
- Clean the spinach leaves very well. Boil 6 cups of water in a pan . Add pinch of salt. Switch off the flame. Keep the spinach leaves in it and let it sit for 2 minutes.
- In another pan, add some cold water. Remove the spinach leaves from hot water and keep it in cold water for another 2 minutes. This method retains its colour.
- Blend the spinach leaves and green chilli, without adding water, to a fine paste. Keep the spinach puree aside.
- Meanwhile, shallow fry the paneer cubes in a pan for 3 minutes and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil or ghee, add bay leaf, cumin seeds, onion and saute well till onion turns lightly brown. Then add ginger garlic paste saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add tomatoes, saute and cook till they turn soft. Then add spinach puree, salt, cumin powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder. Saute for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water. Let it boil and cook for 5 minutes on low flame. Add the paneer and mix gently and close the lid. Let it cook for 1 minute.
- Then add the fresh cream, stir once so that cream gets mixed well in gravy. Switch off the flame.