Its an Indian rice dish flavoured with cumin seeds and whole spices. Its an easy and quick recipe, and goes well with any veg curries & non veg curries. Jeera rice can be prepared in a cooker or a pot. Its a one pot dish which is simple as well as delicious on its own.
Preparation time : 30 minutes of soaking rice
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
Basmati rice – 2 cups ( wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes )
Ghee – 2 tablespoons
Cumin seeds – 2 teaspoons
Bay leaf – 1
Cardamom – 4
cloves – 4
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
Star anise – 1
salt to taste
- Heat ghee in a pot or cooker. Add cumin seeds and whole spices. Saute them till nice aroma comes out of cumin seeds.
2. Add 4 cups of water to the pot.
3. When the water boils, add the drained rice and salt. Mix gently and close the lid.
4. Stir gently after 5 minutes. close the lid. Cook on the medium heat till water is absorbed which would take approximately 10 minutes.
5. If using cooker, cook on medium to high heat till 1 whistle.
Also check our other Rice Dishes.