Appam/ palappam is a popular kerala breakfast/ dinner served along with veg or non veg curries. It needs prep work like dosa batter and keep for fermentation for 8 hours. In this recipe I have used yeast. There are other ways to prepare the batter without using yeast too. Will come up with those recipes soon.
Preparation time : 4 hours soaking + 8 hours fermentation
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Serves : 6 to 8
White rice/ dosa rice – 2 cups
Grated coconut – 1 cup ( or thick coconut milk 1 cup )
Cooked rice – a handful
Sugar -1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Yeast – 1/2 teaspoon
- Wash and soak the rice for 4 hours.
- In a blender, add drained rice, grated coconut, cooked rice, little water and blend to a smooth batter.
- Pour it in a large bowl or air tight box, add salt, sugar, yeast and mix well. Add water according to the consistency. The batter should be little thinner than dosa batter.
- Close the lid and keep for fermentation for 8 to 10 hours in a warm place ( Fermentation time depends on the room temperature).
- Open the lid, mix the batter gently . Heat the appam pan and pour a ladle of batter. Lift and swirl the appam pan to get the shape. Simmer and cook for 2 minutes.