Its a simple recipe for fish curry without coconut. Its spicy and tangy gravy, every mangalorean loves to have with any breakfast items or even plain rice. This takes few ingredients , fresh ground masala and little time to prepare.
You can also add spice powders directly instead of grinding the fresh masala. Quantity is mentioned at the end.
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
- Fish ( any) – half kg
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Tomato – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Long dry chilly ( byadagi chilly ) – 7
- Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Tamarind – size of half lemon
- Turmeric – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Salt – to taste
- Curry leaves – few
- Wash and clean the fish.
- In a blender, add red chilly powder, coriander seeds, tamarind, turmeric powder, ginger, garlic and little water. Blend them to a smooth paste. Red masala is ready.
- Heat 1 teaspoon in a wide pan, on a medium hot, add half of curry leaves and onion, saute till onion turns translucent. Then add tomatoes, saute till they turn mushy.
- Then add blended red masala, salt and saute for a minute. Next add 1 cup of water and mix well. When this gravy boils, add cleaned fish, gently stir and close the lid. Cook this on a medium heat for 5 minutes. Give a gentle stir . Turn the fish ( if big pieces) and close the lid. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- The fish will be cooked and gravy will be thickened by then.
- Instead of fresh ground masala u can add, 2 tablespoons of red chilly powder, 1 teaspoon of coriander powder, tamarind pulp, 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric.
- Add these after tomatoes turns mushy , rest of the method remains same.
Have a look at other Non veg breakfast recipes!