Shawarma is the most popular food of middle east. This is my way of preparing chicken shawarma at home. Chicken is marinated in few spices, either baked, oven grilled or pan grilled and cut into thin strips, placed inside the arabic bread along with pickled cucumber and mayo garlic sauce.
If planned ahead, then you can add this recipe to your get togethers or picnic menu. Its easy, quick and delicious too. Do try this simple recipe and enjoy with your family and friends.
Preparation time : 2 hours/ overnight marination
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 8 shawarmas
- Arabic bread – 8 , small
- Lettuce – few, thinly chopped
- Tomatoes – 1 big. thinly sliced
- Pickled cucumbers, jalapeños- few
- Chicken- 500 gms, breast or thigh piece
- French fries – few
For chicken marination :
- Garlic cloves – 4, finely chopped
- Onion – 1/2, finely chopped
- Red chilly powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Olive oil – 2 tablepoon
- Salt – to taste
- Vinegar – 1 tablespoon
For mayo garlic sauce :
- Mayonnaise – 4 tbsp
- Galric – 1
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Lime juice – few drops
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces.
- Add all ingredients mentioned under “for chicken marination” in a mixing bowl and mix well with hands.
- Marinate the chicken in this for minimum 2 hours. Overnight is better.
- Add mayonnaise, garlic, pepper and lime juice to a blender and make a smooth paste.
- Pan grill or oven grill the marinated chicken. Cut into thin strips.
- Take the arabic bread, place lettuce, pickled cucumber, french fries, chicken strips, mayo garlic sauce and roll it like shawarma.
Enjoy the chicken shawarma with your family and friends 🙂
Do try our other Snacks recipes & Dinner recipes collections.