Sabudana vada ( sago vada) is a deep fried snack made with tapioca pearls and mashed potatoes. Its a popular traditional snack from Maharashtra, India. Usually served with Green chutney and hot tea. Well it tastes as good with tomato ketchup too. There are many variations in the preparation of these vadas. Few add only green chilly, cumin, salt and some add other ingredients. This is my method of preparing the sabudana vadas.
Preparation time : 3 hours for soaking
Cooking time : 20 minutes
- Sabudana ( tapioca pearls) – 1 cup
- Potato – 1 large
- Roasted peanuts – 2 tablespoon, crushed (optional)
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Green chilly – 1-2 , finely chopped
- Coriander leaves – few, finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Lime juice – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – to taste
- Soak sabudana for 3 hours. Then drain, gently squeeze out all water. keep aside in a plate.
- Boil the potatoes.
- In a large bowl, mash the boiled potatoes well. Then add all the ingredients along with sabudana. Mix well. Apply some oil on palm and make the patti/ tikki shapes of the sabudana mix.
- Heat oil in a kadai on medium flame. Deep fry the sabudana patties till light golden brown on both sides.
- You can even cook them in paniyaram/ appe pans.
Sabudana vada is ready to serve with Green chutney and hot tea.
Also have a look at our other Snacks recipes !