This is a delicious prawn biryani with a flavorful combination of basmati rice , fried prawns, spices and herbs. The prawn biryani is made by first frying the prawns and then putting it into a thick gravy made of onions, tomatoes and other spices and herbs. It is then assembled with basmati rice and kept in dum . Fresh veggie salad is enough to complement this biryani. Alternatively, it can be served with Mirchi ka salan too !
Check our blog for other biryani recipes –
Preparation time : 15minutes
Cooking time : 40 hour
- Basmati Rice – 3 cups
- Prawns – 1 kg
- red chilly powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Onion – 6 medium(chopped)+2 (sliced)
- Tomato – 3(chopped)
- lime juice – 1 tablespoon
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Green masala paste (Click here to know how to make it) – 2 tablespoon (or according to your spice requirement) [ I have also mentioned below the quantity of ingredients for green masala paste required for this recipe ]
- Coriander leaves – 1 handful
- Mint leaves – to garnish
- saffron- as required to sprinkle
- cashew and raisins – to garnish
- whole garam masala
- ghee, oil
- Wash and soak the rice for at least 30 minutes. Soak a few strands of saffron in 1/4 cup of water.
- Clean the prawns well. Marinate it with chilly powder , turmeric powder and salt.
- In a deep sauce pan , heat 2 tablespoon ghee and 5-6 tablespoon of oil . Deep fry sliced onion until golden brown (birista) Keep it aside.
- In the same oil+ghee , fry cashew nuts and raisins. Keep it aside.
To prepare prawns masala :-
- Heat enough oil in a kadai. Deep fry prawns . Keep it aside.
- In the same pan , pour 2-3 tablespoon oil. Saute chopped onions. when it turns golden, add ginger-garlic paste. Saute well. Add tomatoes and saute until it is well cooked
- Add the green masala paste .Give it a good mix.saute till raw smell disappears .
- Add the fried prawns and salt. Combine very well. Add lime juice, 2-3 tablespoon of chopped coriander and mint leaves. Cover and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.
To prepare rice :-
- Mean while, heat enough water in a pot. Add whole garam masala (cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, cardomom) .
- When the water starts to boil, add rice and salt. (you may also add lemon, it prevents the rice grains from sticking to each other). Cook for 4-5 minutes. (rice should not be over cooked). Remove from flame and drain the excess water.
Rice and prawn masala is ready. Now we have to set/layer it.
- Take a deep saucepan. Put 1/4th of the cooked rice at the bottom of the sauce pan. sprinkle little fried onions, coriander leaves, mint leaves and saffron water.
- Put the prawn masala as the second layer.
- Put the remaining rice. sprinkle the fried onions, coriander leaves, mint leaves and saffron water.
- Make 5-6 holes throughout using a spoon. Pour a teaspoon of ghee in each hole.
- Cover it tightly with a lid. Keep in low flame (dum) for about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix it well and serve hot .
Green masala ingredient quantity for 1 kg prawn –
- green chillies – 6
- ginger – 1/4 inch piece
- garlic – 3/4 pod
- coriander – 3/4 tablespoon
- fennel seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- jeera – 1/4 teaspoon
- cinnamon – 1 small piece
- cloves – 1
- cardomom – 1
- peppercorns – 3
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- coriander leaves – 2-3 tablespoon
roast all the dry ingredients in slow flame slightly. Then grind everything together.
Check the blog for more prawn recipes –
- Prawn pasta
- Chemmeen Idiyappam / Prawn Stringhoppers
- Dynamite prawns
- Prawns pulao
- Chilli garlic prawns
- Prawn Appam
- Prawn rice