This is a simple date cake with a wonderful flavor. The date cake made with luscious dates is one of the simplest and the most delicious cake that I have ever made. You can say,’a Middle Eastern classic cake , baked to perfection ‘ , as dates are available in plenty through out the year in this part of the world. So go ahead , check out the recipe and give it a try. I am sure, you will love it !
Also , check out the recipe of a very traditional Egyptian Dessert, Umm Ali !
Dates Cake :-
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Baking time : 25 minutes
- Dates – 1 cup (deseeded )
- Hot water – 1 cup
- eggs – 2
- sugar – 1cup
- maida / all purpose flour – 1.5 cups
- butter – 1/4 cup
- baking powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- soda bi carbonate powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Step 1 : Remove seeds from the dates . soak the dates in the hot water for 10- 15 minutes
Step 2 : Mean while , In a bowl, break open the eggs and beat them well.
Step 3 : Let the butter rest in room temperature (until it becomes soft) . Add sugar and butter to the beaten eggs. Beat again very well.
Step 4 : Pre- heat the oven to 180 degrees.
Step 5 : In a large mixing bowl , take the all- purpose flour , baking powder and soda powder . Sieve well.
Step 6 : Mash the dates well in the hot water until it turns into something like dates puree.
Step 7 :Add the dates and egg-sugar-butter mixture to the above large bowl . Combine it very well (with hand or beater)
Step 8 : Transfer the cake batter to a baking tray . Bake it for about 25 minutes or until done.
Remove the cake from the oven. Let it cool down completely before cutting and serving.
- You may add in chopped walnuts to the batter to get little bit of crunchiness .
- I prefer using sticky dates for this cake recipe.
- You may dust the baking tray with all-purpose flour so that it becomes easy to remove the cake.
- To check if the cake is done , insert tooth pick into the cake at different places. If it comes out clean, the cake is done .
- To make it eggless dates cake,
-> avoid step 2.
->use 3/4 cup butter milk in step 7. that is add dates puree , butter – sugar mixture and buttermilk to the bowl of maida , baking powder and soda powder.
Also, have a look at our collection of Dessert recipes !