Turn a simple plain rice into aromatic and delicious rice dish by adding some ghee , whole garam masala and saffron. The color , the fragrance and the taste will surely make you fall in love with saffron rice. A good brand basmati rice is much recommended for this recipe. Serve it with veg/ non veg curry and salad.
Preparation time : 30 minutes of soaking the rice
Cooking time : 10 minutes.
Serves : 4
- Basmati rice – 2 cups
- Ghee/ butter – 2 tablespoons
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Green cardamom – 4
- Star anise – 1
- Saffron strands – a generous pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 4 cups
- Wash and soak the basmati rice for minimum 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pot or cooker. Add all garam masalas, saute for 30 seconds, add water.
- When the water is hot add saffron and salt.
- When water is about to boil , add drained rice. Mix gently. Close the lid.
- If using cooker, then cook on high for 1 whistle and let the pressure settle. open the lid, fluff the rice gently with fork and close the lid without weight. Serve after 5 minutes.
- If using pot, then close the lid, cook on medium flame for 10 minute or till water is absorbed. Open the lid, fluff the rice gently. close the lid for 5 minutes.
Also try our other easy rice dishes like