Turn a simple plain rice into aromatic and delicious rice dish by adding some ghee , whole garam masala and saffron. The color , the fragrance and the taste will surely make you fall in love with saffron rice. A good brand basmati rice is much recommended for this recipe. Serve it with veg/ non veg curry and salad.
Preparation time : 30 minutes of soaking the rice
Cooking time : 10 minutes.
Serves : 4
- Basmati rice – 2 cups
- Ghee/ butter – 2 tablespoons
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Green cardamom – 4
- Star anise – 1
- Saffron strands – a generous pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 4 cups
- Wash and soak the basmati rice for minimum 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pot or cooker. Add all garam masalas, saute for 30 seconds, add water.
- When the water is hot add saffron and salt.
- When water is about to boil , add drained rice. Mix gently. Close the lid.
- If using cooker, then cook on high for 1 whistle and let the pressure settle. open the lid, fluff the rice gently with fork and close the lid without weight. Serve after 5 minutes.
- If using pot, then close the lid, cook on medium flame for 10 minute or till water is absorbed. Open the lid, fluff the rice gently. close the lid for 5 minutes.
Garnish the saffron rice with golden fried onions, cashews, raisins and serve with Non veg curry like Butter chicken, Methi Chicken or veg curries like Matar paneer etc.
Also try our other easy rice dishes like