Kisir is a bulgar based salad found in Turkish cuisines. The main ingredients are bulgar wheat, tomatoes and parsley along with some spices and veggies. It can be served as a side dish or appetizer.
I learnt this recipe from my friend Yaprak, from Turkey. We were neighbors for a year in UAE. The most common hobby for both of us was cooking. She and her family loved Indian food , where as I was a big fan of her turkish food. This is one of the dishes I loved the most.
Bulgar wheat – 1 cup
Hot water – 1 cup
Olive oil – 1 tablespoon +2 tablespoons
Garlic – 1 clove, finely chopped
Onion – 1 large, finely chopped
Red chilly powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Tomato paste – 1 tablespoon
Tomato – 1 large, pureed
Sugar – 1 teaspoon
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
Pomegranate molasses – 1 tablespoon ( or Lime juice )
Fresh parsley leaves – half a bunch, finely chopped
Spring onion green – few, finely chopped
Pomegranate – 1/2, seeds
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan, add garlic and onions, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add red chilly powder, tomato paste and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Then add tomato puree, salt, cumin powder, pepper powder, sugar and mix well.
- Cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Then add hot water. Let it boil and then switch off the flame.
- Add the bulgar wheat, mix well, cover and keep for 30 minutes. ( Make sure the flame is switched off)
- After 30 minutes, add pomegranate molasses or lime juice.
- Also add parsley , spring onion greens, 2 tablespoons olive oil and mix well. Check for seasoning . Add salt if required.
- Cover and keep in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to chill. This salad is best served chilled.
Kisir is ready to serve. Garnish it with pomegranate seeds and serve with kababs, Pita bread or just the Salad. It can be filled in the lettuce leaves and can be served as lettuce wraps. isn’t that cool !
We also have a collection of other salad recipes like
Try our recipes and let us know the results in comments. If you like the recipes please tag us in instagram #b2d_plate. Have a nice day 🙂