One of the best South Indian biriyanis is thalassery style biriyani. The rice used for this biriyani must be jeerakasala rice. Chicken masala and Ghee rice is prepared separately. Then comes the layering of masala and rice. Keeping in dum for 15 – 20 minutes. There you go with the aromatic n delicious biriyani which you can’t resist to take second serving.
The recipe courtesy goes to my dear friends Megha and Nuzhath. They make the best homemade thalassery biriyanis.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 45 minutes
Serves : 5- 6 servings
For ghee rice :
- Jeerakasala rice – 2.5 cups
- Ghee – 2 tablespoons
- Onion – 1 small, thinly sliced
- Cinnamon stick – 1, small piece
- Cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 3
- Water – 4 cups
- Salt – to taste
For masala :
- Chicken – 1/2 kg
- Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Onion – 4 , medium , thinly sliced
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Green chilly – 5 ( depends on the spiciness of chillies )
- Tomato – 2, medium, chopped
- Coriander leaves – half a bunch, chopped
- Garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Lime – 1, juice
- Salt – to taste
For garnish :
- Ghee – 2 teaspoons
- Onion – 1, medium, golden fried
- Cashews and raisins – few, lightly fried
- Coriander leaves- few, chopped
- Mint leaves – few , chopped
- saffron water / food colour – 2 teaspoons
- In a pot, heat oil, saute the onions till they turn light brown.
- Crush or make paste of the ginger, garlic and green chillies together. Add it to the onions.
- Saute for couple of minutes. Then add tomatoes and saute till they turn soft.
- Then add turmeric powder, garam masala powder, pepper powder and saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add the coriander leaves, salt and saute well.
- Let it cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Then add the chicken, mix well and let it cook on medium flame till done.
- If masala is very dry then only add 2 tablespoon of water .
- Add lime juice, mix gently, check for salt. Switch off the flame. Masala is ready.
Prepare ghee rice:
- In a pot, add ghee, add whole garam masalas and onions.
- Saute onions till translucent.
- Add water, salt. When the water starts boiling, add washed rice.
- Mix well and close the lid.
- Cook till done.
- In biryani pot, spread 2 teaspoons of ghee at the bottom.
- Spread chicken masala as the bottom layer.
- Next spread ghee rice over the masala.
- sprinkle saffron water/ food colour over the rice.
- sprinkle 3/4th of the fried onions, coriander leaves and mint leaves over the rice.
- Cover the pot with aluminum foil and close lid.
- Keep for dum under lowest flame for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Biriyani is ready to serve.
Garnish the biriyani with remaining fried onions, cashews and raisins.
Serve the delicious hot Thalassery biriyani with raita, pickle, papad and chamanthi.
Also have a look at our other biriyani recipes like