Bread upma is a quick and easy breakfast or snack made using bread. Top it with cashew nuts/ peanuts and pomegranete seeds to give nice crunch with those soft bread chunks. Bread is toasted first, and added to the regular upma tadka to give this delicious breakfast or snack.
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serves : 2
- Bread slices – 4 ( white/ brown)
- Ghee/ oil- 1 tablespoon
- Cashew nuts / peanuts – few
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
- Ginger – small piece , finely chopped
- Green chilly – 1
- Tomato – 1 small, finely chopped
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves – few, finely chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Pomegranete seeds – a handful , to garnish ( optional)
- Toast the bread slices on a pan or toaster, cut them into small square chunks, keep aside.
- Heat little ghee in a pan, roast the cashews/ peanuts till light brown. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same pan add remaining ghee/ oil, add mustard seeds.
- When they splutter, add curry leaves, ginger, green chilly and saute for a minute.
- Then add onion and saute for a minute. Then add tomato and saute till soft.
- Next add salt, turmeric, red chilly powder and saute for a minute.
- Then add 2 tablespoons of water , mix and cook for 30 seconds.
- Then add bread chunks, coriander leaves and give a good mix. Switch off the flame.
- Bread upma is ready.
Garnish the bread upma with cashew nuts and pomegranate seeds and serve hot.
Check out our other bread recipes such as