Idiyappam / Nool Puttu is one of the common and popular Breakfast in Kerala. These String hoppers are made with rice . Usually served with Sweetened coconut milk, it can also be served with stew or any curry. I have shared the recipe of sweetened coconut milk towards the end of the blog.
Meanwhile, Some of the gravy that can be a good option for idiyappam are –
Idiyappam / Nool Puttu :-
- rice flour/ pathiri powder – 2 cups
- grated coconut – to garnish
- salt – as needed
- oil – 1-2 tablespoon
Step 1 : Take rice flour in a large mixing bowl. add salt. Knead it into a soft dough with warm/hot water. (warmer the water, softer the idiyappam).. add 2 tablespoon oil and give a final knead.
Step 2 : Take enough water in a steamer and keep it on a gas stove. Switch on the flame.
Step 3 : Take the idiyappam maker . Take a portion/ big ball of the dough and place it in the idiyappam maker. Slowly press/squeeze the dough onto a plate/ banana leaf/ aluminium foil in a circular motion. Continue to do so until you get the desired size.
Step 4: Sprinkle some grated coconut on top. Place it in the steamer.
Step 5: Continue to make more idiyappams and place in the steamer one by one.
Step 6 : Cook on medium flame for about 10 minutes.
Switch off the flame and serve it with the very popular sweetened coconut milk
To Prepare sweetened coconut milk :-
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Grated coconut – 1 cup / half a coconut
- sugar – 1 teaspoon
- salt – 1 pinch
- cardamom – 2
- Take the jaggery and water (just enough to soak the jaggery) in a pot. Keep it on a stove on medium flame and heat it until the jaggery melts and dissolves completely.
- Meanwhile, take the grated coconut along with a cup of water in a blender .Also add in cardamom, sugar and salt. Blend it well. Strain and squeeze out the milk well on to a bowl.
- Add this coconut milk to the above jaggery water. Heat it on low flame for a couple of minutes until it starts to boil . (do not boil). Switch off the flame.
Sweetened coconut milk / thenga pal is ready.
Serve the delicious Idiyappam with sweetened coconut milk and Enjoy !!!
Check out the blog for more breakfast recipes –