Vegetable biriyani is a flavorful rice dish made using mixed vegetables. I have used blended green masala for this biriyani, I will post the red masala veg biriyani also in future. Both masalas gives its own flavors to biriyani. The biriyani prepared in a same way of other biriyanis by layering the masala and rice and keeping in dum ( pressure) for 15 – 20 minutes.
If you are in hurry then try our one pot Vegetable pulao recipe which can be prepared in a pressure cooker as well as rice pot.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Serves : 4 – 5
For green masala :
- Coriander leaves – 1/2 bunch + few for garnishing
- Mint leaves – a handful + few for garnishing
- Green chilly – 4 or 5
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Garlic – 4 cloves
For biriyani masala :
- Ghee/ oil- 2 tabelspoons
- Onion – 2 large + 1 small for garnishing
- Tomato – 2 medium
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Mixed veggies – 2 cups (potato, carrot, green peas, beans, paneer etc)
- Yoghurt/ curd – 2 tablespoons
- Lime – 1, juice
- Salt – to taste
For cooking rice :
- Cinnamon stick – 1 piece
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cardamom – 4
- Cloves – 4
- Basmati rice – 2 cups
- Salt – 1 tablespoon
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Saffron – a pinch, soaked in 2 tablespoons of warm water/ milk
- First, wash and soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes.
- Next, make green masala paste by blending all ingredients mentioned under “green masala” and keep aside.
- Heat oil/ ghee in a pot, saute onions till light brown.
- Then add green masala, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and saute till oil separates.
- Then add tomatoes, saute till slightly soft.
- Then add veggies, yoghurt, mix well and close the lid and cook till done. Don’t add water.
- Add lime juice. Also check for salt and add if needed.
- Biriyani masala is ready.
- Heat enough water in a large vessel.
- Add all whole garam masalas , oil, salt to the water.
- When boils, add drained rice. Cook till 3/4th done.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Fry the onions till golden brown for garnishing.
- In biriyani pot, place the biriyani masala at the bottom.
- Then layer the rice on top.
- Garnish it with fried onions, chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves, saffron water.
- Close the lid and keep on dum/ pressure for 15 minutes.
- Vegetable biriyani is ready.
Serve hot veg biriyani with kachumber and raita. Pair it with Spicy egg fry to make a delicious meal.
Do try our other biriyani recipes such as
Have a delicious meal 🙂