Mutton Yakhni Pulao is a very flavorful rice, cooked in mutton stock or yakhni. Firstly, Yakhni is prepared using mutton pieces and a bouquet of spices . The rice is then cooked in the stock . Finally, steam cook it (dum) for 10 minutes. Serve it with your favorite gravy or raita.
- mutton – 1/2 kg
- basmati rice – 1/2 kg
- onion – 1 + 1large (sliced)
- green chilly – 6
- ginger-garlic paste – 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon
- ghee – 2 tablespoon
- yoghurt – 1 cup
For bouquet Garni / potly :
- cardamom – 4
- cloves – 6
- cinnamon – 2 inch
- nutmeg – 1/4 piece
- black peppercorn – 1/2 teaspoon
- coriander seeds – 1 tablespoon
- mace – 1/2 teaspoon
- cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- bay leaf – 1
- Wash the rice well. Soak it for 30 minutes. Drain and keep it aside . Clean the mutton pieces well.
To Prepare Yakhni :-
- In a muslin cloth, place all the ingredients mentioned under bouquet garni. Wrap and tie it well so that the spices don’t come out.
- In a cooker, put the mutton pieces, 1 medium onion (sliced) , 1 tablespoon of ginger-garlic paste and 4 green chillies . Place the bouquet garni in. Add required salt and water(until mutton pieces sink). Cook for 3-4 whistles or until mutton becomes tender.
- Let it cool. Open the cooker. Strain 3 cups of mutton stock (yakhni) and keep it aside. Also, take out the mutton pieces and set aside.
To Prepare Yakhni Pulao :
- Heat oil + ghee in a pot. Fry 1 large onion until it turns brown (caramelize) . add a few whole spices (like cardamom, cloves, cumin seeds, pepper corns, cinnamon ).
- Add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste and 2 green chillies. Combine well.
- Add cooked meat and yoghurt. Mix well. add salt as required.
- Add the reserved mutton stock (yakhni) . Once it starts boiling, add the rice. Combine well.
- Cook until water is almost dried up.
- Then cook on dum (steam cook) for about 10 minutes.
Mutton Yakhni pulao is ready. Serve it with Mirchi ka salan or Khatta Baingan
You may also like –
- Chicken kabsa
- Erachi choru |kerala meat rice
- Chicken Pilaf
- Prawn rice
- Hyderabadi mutton biriyani
- Chicken Dum Biryani