Thick rice pancakes are another breakfast or dinner item from southIndian cuisine. Two kinds of rice are soaked for 5 hours, ground coarsely and cooked like a pancake. Its easy and quick recipe too. It goes well with any veg or non veg curries like Nadan Kozhi Curry / traditional Chicken Curry, Malabar chicken kurma, Mangalore style spicy fish gravy. It tastes good with chutneys too.
Prep time : 5 hours of soaking
Cooking time : 10 minutes
- Matta rice/ parboiled rice – 1.5 cups
- White rice/ dosa rice – 0.5 cup
- Coconut, freshly grated – a handful
- Salt – to taste
- Water – as needed
- Soak both rice together in a bowl for 5 hours or overnight.
- Wash and drain the rice.
- Grind them coarsely ( like rave/ semolina) by adding half a cup of water. Add water to get a slightly thin batter.
- Add fresh grated coconut and salt to the batter.
- Heat oil in a pan, pour some of batter, swirl the pan so that batter spreads.
- Close the lid and cook for 3 – 4 minutes. Cook extra minutes to get crispy pancake.
- Open the lid, flip the pancake and cook for another 2 -3 minutes.
- Thick rice pancakes are ready.
Serve them hot with Nadan Kozhi Curry / traditional Chicken Curry or any other curries and enjoy.
You may also like our other rice recipes for breakfast like