Puttu is a breakfast or dinner dish from SouthIndian states Kerala and coastal Karnataka. Its made of coarsely ground rice and coconut, layered in a cylindrical vessel called as puttu maker. The plain puttu are served with banana, sugar , ghee or any curry.
But in this recipe Prawns masala is layered with rice and steamed to get prawns puttu.
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes.
For prawn masala :
- Prawns – 250 gms
- Onion – 1 , large, finely chopped
- Ginger – half inch, finely chopped
- Garlic – 4 cloves, finley chopped
- Green chilly – 3 , finely chopped
- Tomato – 1, medium, finely chopped
- Red chilly powder – 1 teaspoon + 1 teaspoon ( for marinating )
- Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon ( for marinating )
- Curry leaves – few
- Coriander leaves – few
- Salt – to taste
For puttu :
- Puttu powder – as needed
- salt- to taste
- Water- as needed
Prepare prawn masala :
- Wash and clean the prawns, marinate it with 1 tsp red chilly powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, salt for 10 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of coconut oil/ any oil, in a pan and fry the prawns.
- Remove the prawns once cooked, keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add onions, saute well till translucent.
- Then add finely chopped ginger garlic green chilly and saute for a minute.
- Then add red chilly powder, coriander powder, pepper powder, garam masala powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and saute for a minute.
- Then add tomatoes and saute till they turn soft and mushy.
- Then add salt, fried prawns, curry leaves and give a good mix.
- Cook the masala till it gets dry.
- Then add the coriander leaves. Switch off the flame.
- Prawns masala is ready.
Next make puttu,
- Take puttu powder in a bowl, add salt, sprinkle water little by little and mix and crush with hand till it turns like bread crumbs.
- Close and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In the puttu maker, place a tablespoon of masala at the bottom, then add mixed puttu powder, then again a layer of prawn masala , another layer of puttu powder and final layer of prawn masala.
- Steam it for about 6 to 10 minutes.
- Prawn puttu is ready to serve.
Check out out other prawn recipes such as