Ney pathir is one of my favourites. It reminds me of my grandmother. On special ocassions she used to make ney pathal and serve with chicken curry or mutton curry. That was my best favourite combo.
I have always prepared it in traditional method by soaking rice and like in this recipe of Ney Pathiri. But I had seen people making it with rice powder too. I had never tried that though. But during lockdown I missed one part of puttu maker 😦 and I had 2 packets of puttu podi. I was wondering what am I going to make with these packets. I would not buy another puttu maker soon then !
So I just experimented making this instant ney pathir and was successful. My family loved it too. It turned so crispy outside and remained crispy for good half n hour. Hope you all will like this instant ney pathir recipe too 🙂
Prep time : 5 minutes
- Puttu powder – 1 cup
- Hot water – 1.25 cups
- Fresh grated coconut – a handful
- Onion – a small piece
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- The dough might turn dry in between while making ney pathir. In that case sprinkle warm water, knead and then make nei pathir.
- Add coconut, onion, cumin seeds into a blender and grind coarsely. Keep aside.
- First heat 1.25 cups water in a pot/ pan till boiling point. Switch off the flame.
- Add salt to it and mix well.
- Then add puttu powder, coarsely grounded coocnut mix and mix with a spoon.
- Close the lid and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Then open the lid and knead with hands when its warm.
- Knead well to form a dough. Sprinkle little warm water while kneading if the dough is dry.
- Make small balls of dough, press it or roll it like poori.
- It should be thicker than poori.
- Deep fry on medium – high heat till both sides turn light brown.
- Crispy yet soft ney pathir/ pathal is ready to serve.