This Kerala Chicken curry with roasted coconut is a very popular and very basic chicken curry prepared in this part of the world. The perfect blend of roasted coconut and spices gives this curry a rich and aromatic flavor. Adding in methi seeds (uluva) is a very interesting innovation to this curry that lifts the flavor of the curry to a new level.This curry when paired with rice, roti, pathiri, dosa ,nay pathiri etc ,makes a good combination.
- Chicken – 1 kg
- onion – 2 + 1/2
- tomato – 1
- coconut grated – 1 no. (approx. 140gms)
- red chilly powder – 2 tablespoon
- coriander powder – 2 tablespoon
- turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- ghee – 2 tablespoon
- pepper corn – 1 teaspoon( optional)
- jeera – 1 teaspoon
- methi seeds (uluva) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cut and clean the chicken.
- Thinly slice the onions
- Make tomato puree of a tomato by blending it in a mixer (without adding water)
Let’s get started:-
- Heat a pan .Dry roast grated coconut , red chilly powder , coriander powder, methi seeds , jeera and peppercorns until all the ingredients get combined well and nice aroma comes. remove from heat. Let it cool.
- Then grind it into a smooth paste (by adding little water).keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a cooking pot . saute two onions until it turns translucent. Then add chicken. Cook for a couple of minutes on medium flame.
- Add roasted and ground coconut paste to the above chicken pot. Add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well. Cover and cook until chicken is almost done.
- now, add tomato puree to the chicken. Let it boil well once.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, heat 1 tablespoon ghee. fry half an onion until golden.Add this to the above gravy. Combine well. Remove from flame.
Kerala style varutharacha chicken curry is ready ! Serve it with rice or roti and enjoy!!!
Have a look at these malabar dish recipes –
- Chicken Kakka Roti
- Erachi Thari Biriyani
- Macaroni Pola
- Ney Pathiri
- Prawn puttu/ Chemmeen puttu
- Idiyappam / Nool Puttu