Ottada is rice pancake which is a traditional breakfast dish in malabar region. Also known as Mutta pathiri, it is very soft and fluffy. I would call it a healthy fusion of rice dosa and wheat dosa with the addition of egg. It is traditionally cooked on an earthen pan. Here , I have used a non-stick pan to cook this. It is usually served with sweet coconut milk. It tastes equally good with chicken or mutton curry as well as veg stew.
- rice powder (pathiri powder) – 1cup
- wheat flour (atta) – 1 cup
- hot water – 1 cup
- egg – 1
- baking soda – 1/4 teaspoon
- salt – 1 teaspoon
- Take a mixing bowl . Transfer rice powder to it. Add 1 cup of hot water gradually and mix it. Keep it covered for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl , mix wheat flour with little water to form a lump free batter of thick consistency (approx 1/4 cup water or little more )
- Now take a blender. transfer rice powder mix, wheat flour mix, egg. Blend it to a smooth batter with enough water.
- Add baking powder and salt. Mix well. Adjust the consistency.(should be as that of dosa batter)
- Heat a tawa well. Pour a ladle of batter to the hot tawa. Wait till holes appear . Cover and cook till done.
Delicious Kerela Ottada or Mutta pathiri is ready! serve it with sweet coconut milk or curry and enjoy!!!
Check out these recipes too –
- Schezwan dosa
- Kalthappam (unsweetened)
- Ney Pathiri
- Millet Dosa
- Chemmeen Idiyappam / Prawn Stringhoppers
- Instant wheat flour dosa