Lemon rice is one of the popular SouthIndian rice dishes. Also known as chitranna in Karnataka, it’s a simple recipe where flavourful tempering is added to precooked rice along with lime juice. It can be served with raita, pickle, pappad etc. It doesn’t need to be reheated as it tastes great served at room temperature. Hence its a great option for picnic or lunch boxes.
The first time I tasted lemon rice was in Bangalore. During my college days, my classmates used to bring lemon rice, tamarind rice, sambar rice, akki rotti etc. in their lunch box. During the break we used to share our lunch and I always loved the sour taste of lemon rice and tamarind rice. So if I have leftover rice, sometimes I make lemon rice too.
- Cooked basmati rice/ sona masuri rice – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Cashews – few
- Peanuts – few
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Green chilli – 2
- Hing – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Heat oil in a pan, fry the cashew nuts and peanuts separately till golden brown. Remove them and keep aside.
- In the same oil, add mustard seeds. When crackles add urad dal and let it fry till light brown.
- Then add curry leaves, green chilli.
- Add turmeric powder, hing saute for 5 seconds and switch off the flame.
- Take rice in a bowl, add the tempering, lemon juice, fried peanuts, cashewnuts and salt. Give a good mix.
- Super quick lemon rice is ready to serve 🙂
We have other recipes where leftover rice is used such as