Mutton sukka, a popular mutton dish from Mangalorean cuisine. In this recipe spice powders are used unlike using whole spices in traditional recipe. This recipe is very simple and easy. It requires basic ingredients we all have in our kitchen. Soon I will upload the traditional Mangalore sukka recipe too.
Mutton sukka refers to dry preparation. However it can be prepared dry or semi dry. Mutton is cooked with spice powders and then added to roasted coconut to give this delicious dish. This can be paired with pathiri , Ney pathal , Appam, Ghee rice, chapati etc . Well, you can skip the coconut and it will turn into Mangalore mutton kakka. That tastes equally delicious.
The main recipe credit goes to Shafa, knows as @cooktobehappy in Insta. She shared the recipe for pallicurry. I made little changes like adding coconut etc. to adjust to my taste. I call this jhatpat mutton sukka as it can be prepared in no time.
To cook mutton :
- Mutton – 1/2 kg
- Onion – 1 large , roughly chopped
- Tomato – 1 large , roughly chopped
- Ginger – 1 inch, crushed
- Garlic – 6 cloves, crushed
- Green chilly – 6, crushed
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Lime – 1
- Salt – as per taste
For sukka :
- Oil – 1 tbsp , coconut oil preferred
- Curry leaves – a handful
- Onion – 1 medium , thinly sliced
- Coconut – a handful
- Kashmiri chilly powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Saunf – 1 tsp
- Corinader leaves – a handful.
- Add all ingredients mentioned under “to cook mutton” in a pressure cooker.
- Cook for 5 to 6 whistles or till mutton is well cooked.
- Heat coconut oil in a kadai/ big pan, add curry leaves, onion and saute for couple of minutes.
- Then add coconut and roast till they turn light brown.
- Next add chilly powder, coriander powder, saunf and saute well for 2 minutes.
- Then add the cooked mutton masala and mix well.
- Cook on the high heat till it turns thick or desired consistency.
- Finally add the corinader leaves.
Delicious mutton sukka is ready to serve 🙂
Have a look at our other Mangalore special recipes such as