Dahi vada is soft lentil dumplings dipped in sweet yoghurt flavored with spices. It is a snack that originated in India ; but it is popular through out South Asia. It is one of the popular street food dishes.
Check out other street food recipes-
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Makes : 32 vadas
- urid dhal – 3/4 cup (soaked for 5-6 hours, preferably overnight)
- green chilly – 1
- ginger – a small piece
- curry leaves – a little
For dahi : (for 16 vadas)
- Thick yoghurt – 1- 1.5 cups
- chat masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- jeera powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- sugar – 5-6 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
For Tempering :
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- jeera seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
- hing – a pinch
- curry leaves – a few
Step 1: Grind together all the ingredients required for making vada with little water. Heat enough oil in a kadai. Drop a spoonful of batter (size of a small lemon )into it and fry till it turns golden on both the sides. Keep it aside.
Step 2: Mix together all the ingredients mentioned under ‘dahi’ and make the yoghurt ready. Dip the vadas in the prepared yoghurt.
Step 3: Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan. Crackle mustard seeds, jeera seeds. Add hing and curry leaves. Pour it to the prepared Dahi Vada.
- Soak the Fried vadas in water for a few minutes (3-4 minutes) to make it soft . Squeeze out the excess water before dropping the vadas into the yoghurt / dahi.
- The vadas tend to absorb dahi . So before serving ,you may again prepare some dahi as mentioned above and pour over the vadas.
You may also like these snacks –