Ghee rice is a very popular kerala rice dish. Its an one pot aromatic rice made with ghee and spices. Ghee rice can be prepared in pressure cooker and pot. Its favorite rice dish both among kids and adults.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
- 2 cups jeerakshala rice , 3 cups of water.
- (If using basmati rice then 2 cups of basmati rice, 4 cups of water)
- 3 tablespoons of ghee
- 1/2 small sized onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon
- salt to taste
- 1/2 lime, juice extracted
- Dry fruits and half onion , thinly sliced ( optional for garnish)
- In a cooker or a deep pot , heat ghee, add sliced onion, whole spices and saute till onion turns translucent.
- Add 3 cups of water, salt and lime juice.
- When the water starts boiling, add washed , drained jeerakshala rice, mix gently and cover the lid.
- If using pressure cooker, cook on medium heat. After 1 whistle switch off the flame, let the pressure settle.
- If using pot then, cook on medium heat for approximately 10 minutes. When water is completely absorbed , switch off the flame. Fluff the rice and close the lid for 5 minutes.
- Garnish the ghee rice with fried onions and cashews (optional).
Click me for more rice dishes’ recipe at b2d!