Khatta baingan is a delicious Indian tangy gravy curry made using brinjal / eggplant. It is made using a masala paste which helps in bringing out the best flavor of the baingan. Once cooked, this gravy can go unspoiled for more than a week in the refrigerator. This gravy goes very well with rice as well as roti.
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Cooking time :30 minutes
- Brinjal / eggplant – 6 medium size (diced)
- freshly grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- tomato – 2
- sesame seed – 1 teaspoon
- roasted peanuts – 10-15
- Cashew nut – 5
- tamarind – a small lemon sized ball
- onion – 1/2
- ginger-garlic paste
- mustard seeds
- jeera seeds
- dried red chilly – 2
- red chilly powder – 1 teaspoon (or according to your spice level)
- coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- jeera powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- salt, curry leaves , oil
Step 1 : Grind together coconut , tomatoes, sesame seeds, peanuts, cashew nuts, tamarind,ginger-garlic paste and onion to a smooth masala paste .
Step 2 : Heat oil in pan . Crackle mustard seeds, jeera seeds. Add dried whole red chillies and curry leaves. saute for a couple of minutes.
Step 3: Add the blend masala paste. also add in chilly powder , coriander powder , turmeric powder, garam masala powder, jeera powder and salt. Combine very well.Cook till the oil starts separating.
Step 4: Add half a glass of water and diced brinjals. let it boil. Cover and sim cook for 10-15 minutes or until brinjal is well cooked.
Click Me for more veg gravy recipes at b2d!