Mirchi ka salan is the hyderabadi side dish, which is usually served with Hyderabadi mutton biriyani or any hyderabadi biriyani. The spicy tangy curry goes well with different kinds of roti, pulao too.
The recipe credit goes to my sweet sis in law, Sabeena. 🙂
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves : 6
- Salan chillies – 6
- Sesame seeds, 1 tablespoon
- Peanuts, 2 handfull
- Grated coconut, 1 cup
- Mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry red chilly, 4
- Curry leaves, few
- Onion, 1 big size
- Ginger garlic paste, 1 tablespoon
- Hing, a pinch
- Turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilly powder, 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder, 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder, 1/4 teaspoon
- Tamarind pulp, of a lemon sized ball
- Coriander leaves, few
- Salt as per taste
- In a pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil & roast peanuts, sesame seeds & coconut, one by one, till they turn light brown. Let them cool. Add little water and blend them to a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoon of oil in a same pan, fry the slitted salan chillies for couple of minutes, till all sides are well fried. Keep them aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, when it crackles, add cumin seeds, dry red chillies, curry leaves, thinly sliced onion. Saute well till onion turns golden brown.
- Then add ginger garlic paste, hing n turmeric. Saute for 2 minutes. Then add red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, coriander leaves. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add the blended mixture, add 1/2 cup of water. Let it cook till oil oozes out. Then add tamarind pulp, salt, 1/2 cup water and let it cook till for 5 minutes. Check for consistency. Add water if needed.
- After a good boil, add the fried chillies, mix gently. Cover the lid. Let it cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
Mirchi ka salan is ready to serve with Hyderabadi mutton biriyani, any rice dishes & Roti/ Parathas.
Do not miss the super value days going on from 1st to 7th september in amazon India, upto 50% discount on your monthly grocery from amazon pantry.
Try our other Curry/ gravy recipes too!
Thank you 🙂