Vegetable pulao is one of those rice dishes which can be included in a party menu as well as just for your family lunch. Its a simple rice dish which is healthy as well as loved by all. You can use the vegetables of your choice to make this delicious pulao.
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 6
- Basmati rice – 3 cups
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Onion – 1 large, finely chopped
- Tomato – 1 small, finely chopped
- Mixed veggies ( Carrots, beans, potato, green peas etc) – 3 cups
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
Whole garam masalas
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Cardamom – 4
- Cloves – 4
- Star anise – 1
For grinding :
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- Mint leaves – 8 to 10 leaves
- Green chilly – 4 to 5
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Garlic – 6 cloves
(Note: You can just finely chop these ingredients and add instead of grinding )
- Wash and soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes.
- Heat a deep pan or cooker . Add oil and ghee ( you can also add 2 tablespoons of ghee alone or 2 tablespoons of oil alone).
- Add whole garam masalas, onion and saute till they turn light golden brown. Then add the grounded masala. Saute till the oil oozes out.
- Next add turmeric powder, garam masala powder and saute little bit. Then add tomatoes and all veggies, salt. Mix well and saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add 6 cups of water. Let the water boil. Then add the drained rice.
- Add lemon juice. Mix gently once. check for salt and add if needed.
- Close the lid. Keep on low to medium flame. Cook for 10 minutes or till water dries.
- If using cooker, cook for 1 whistle on medium flame.
Serve the delicious veg pulao with Dahi baingan, Chicken fry & salad.
For more pulao/ biriyani recipes check out our Biriyani/ pulao recipes collection.