This sambar is prepared with freshly ground sambar masala. Its a famous sambar served in south indian restaurants for breakfast, lunch , snack and dinner. The aroma of freshly ground spices along with coconut & the sweetness of the little jaggery makes it a wonderful combination with idli, dosa, vada, rice etc. If you have already cooked toor dal then this sambar can be prepared in 15 minutes.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Serves : 6
For sambar masala :
- Dry red long chilly (byadagi) – 4
- Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Urad dal – 1/4 teaspoon
- Fenugreek ( methi ) seeds – less than 1/4 teaspoon
- Grated coconut – 2 tablespoons
Other ingredients :
- Toor dal – 1/4 cup
- Potato – 1 large
- Onion – 1 medium
- Tomato – 1 medium
- Add any sambar vegetables of your choice
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Tamarind – 1 lemon sized ball, soaked in water
- Grated jaggery – 1-2 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
For tempering :
- Oil – 2 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
- Hing – a pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Dry red chilly – 1
- I prefer to cook dal & sambar in pressure cooker. You can also prepare in a kadai.
- Cook toor dal in a pressure cooker. Then add roughly chopped onion, potatoe ,tomato, sambar vegetables, turmeric powder, salt and cook till its done. (In cooker it takes 1 whistle for vegetables to cook on high heat)
- Mean while , prepare the sambar masala. Heat a pan, dry roast coriander seeds, red chilly, methi seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal. Blend the dry roasted spices along with coconut and 1/4 th cup water, to a smooth paste.
- Add this masala to the cooked dal & vegetables
- Note :
You can use readymade sambar powder too.
Grind sambar powder with coconut to a fine paste and then add to the cooked dal & vegetables.
- Next add tamarind pulp, jaggery.
- Add water and adjust the consistency.
- Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Prepare the tempering and pour over the prepared sambar.
- Udupi style sambar is ready to serve with Idli, dosa , vada or plain rice.