Mangalore style fish fry is spicy, tangy and delicious. As traditional method, whole spices are ground together along with tamarind to a smooth paste and fish is marinated in that masala. It’s always better to marinate the fish in masala for atleast 30 minutes so that fish absorbs the flavour of spices.
You can also marinate the fish and keep in freezer for couple of days. You can even prepare the masala in bulk and store in freezer upto a month. Storing in small containers, makes it easy for us to defrost only the required amount of the masala.
For Mangalore style rava fish fry, dip each marinated fish in the rava just before frying and shallow fry to get a crunchy fried fish. That’s our family favorite. yumm!
If you are looking for a fish masala recipe using spice powders then check this Quick fish fry mangalore style
Preparation time : 5 -10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves : 4
- Fish – any, 500 gms
For fresh ground masala :
- Dry long red chilli ( byadagi) – 6
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger – 1/4 inch
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Tamarind – 1/2 lemon sized ball
- Salt – to taste
- Clean the fish well, pat dry and keep aside.
- Make slits on the fish before marinating so that the masala can penetrate inside thoroughly.
- Blend all the ingredients mentioned under “fresh ground masala” to a thick smooth paste. Add little water while blending, just enough to get a fine masala paste. Apply this masala on fish very well and marinate .
- Marinate the fish in this masala for 30 minutes at least.
- Shallow fry them on medium heat for around 5 – 8 min each on both sides or till done.
- Serve it with some onions & lemon wedges along with plain rice, fish biriyani etc.
- 1. Frying in coconut oil gives the best results. However you can use sunflower oil too.
- 2. Adding curry leaves to the marination gives nice aroma.
Check out our other Mangalore special recipes too!
and other fish recipes such as