Semiya/vermicelli payasam/ kheer, is one of the easiest desserts I ever prepared. Best thing about this dessert is, it can be served hot, warm or even chilled. one more advantage is , the same dessert can be served as drink if more milk is added. Isn’t that great? Just check out how easy and simple recipe it is.
Cooking time : 15 minutes
- Semiya/ Vermicelli – 1 cup
- Milk – 3 – 4 cups
- Sugar – 1/2 – 3/4 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ghee – 3 tablespoons
- Dry fruits – a handful of cashews, almonds, raisins or any of your choice., roughly chopped
- In a pot/ kadai, heat ghee. fry the dry fruits till golden brown on low heat. Remove them and keep aside.
- In the same kadai, break the semiya if its long. Fry them till they turn golden brown, stirring continuously.
- When the semiya/ vermicelli turns golden brown, add milk and keep the flame low- medium. Keep stirring occasionally so that the base doesn’t get burnt. Once the milk boils, add sugar and cardamom powder. Cook for 5 minutes or till semiya is well cooked and kheer is thickened. Then add 3/4 th of dry fruits to the kheer. switch off the flame.
- Garnish the kheer with remaining fried dry fruits and serve hot, warm or chilled.
You can even add few saffron stands to enhance the taste and color.
You can reduce the amount of semiya or increase the amount of milk , sugar according to your taste.
Remember , once the kheer is cooled it gets thickened.
To serve as a semiya drink, fry less semiya and add more milk.
Check out our more Easy desserts recipes collections.