Mutabbaq or Martabak is a Saudi traditional street food. Its a very simple & easy recipe . Its kind of Indian stuffed bread. My recipe has a twist. I used the store bought mutabbaq leaves and filling recipe is not traditional. You can use spring roll sheets too. Its best for breakfasts, lunch box , snack time as well as ifthar.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
- Chicken – 500 gms, boneless , minced
- Onion – 2 large. finely chopped
- Carrots, beans – 1/2 cup, finely chopped ( optional)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 th teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper powder- 1 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves – few, finely chopped
- Eggs – 3
- Salt – to taste
- Mutabbaq leaves/ spring roll leaves – 8
- Butter – 4 tablespoon
- All purpose flour – 2 tablespoon ( to make glue)
- Heat a pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil, add finely chopped onion and saute till soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Saute till raw smell goes. then add veggies (optional), minced chicken, salt, pepper, garam masala powder, turmeric and saute well.
- Close the lid and cook chicken till done. Do not add water, as chicken leaves its moisture. Switch off the flame.
- Let the masala cool down and keep aside. ( Make sure its completely cooled down)
Note : If you already have any samosa masala filling , then can use it instead of preparing the above filling.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, add little salt, pepper, coriander leaves, cooled chicken masala and mix well.
- In a small bowl, add little water to all purpose flour and mix well to form a thick lump free paste just like how you do for samosa.
- Take a mutabbaq/ or spring roll sheet. place the egg n chicken mix on the sheet in square shape.
- Apply the all purpose flour paste on the all the sides . place another sheet on them and press it on the sides.
- Grease some butter on the heated pan, cook the mutabbaq on both sides till light brown.
- Cut them into smaller squares.
- Chicken mutabbaq is ready to serve. You can prepare the filling with any meat.
We have a collection of other Ifthar snacks . Try these delicious recipes and enjoy with family 🙂